- This event has passed.
October 10 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- What is the difference between bookkeeping and accounting and why we do it?
- What accounting principles guide the accounting process.
- Recording options
- manual – computerized spreadsheets (using excel) – computerized software packages
- Ways to organize your business
- sole proprietorship to corporations
- Types of businesses
- Service – Merchandising – Light Manufacturing – Manufacturing
- Components of bookkeeping and financial reporting
- journals – ledgers – trial balance
- income statement – balance sheet
- cash flows
Instructor John Pyper:
John Pyper is a retired Business/Accounting teacher. As a graduate in Accounting from the University of Waterloo, John has a strong foundation in business and accounting. After graduation, he worked in public accounting for five years followed by ten years in business in a number of financial roles for various organizations. Following his early work experience, John became a teacher in business and accounting with the local school board for almost twenty years. John has also co-owned his own business in Port Stanley for a number of years. After retiring John continued his earlier career offering bookkeeping services in Elgin County.
John has been involved in the community with the Optimist Club and the YWCA in various capacities. Also, John served as a board member and treasurer for the United Way Elgin-St. Thomas.
Recently John has been involved with re-establishing a tennis club in St. Thomas which is now entering its second season.
John looks forward to assisting you in understanding bookkeeping/accounting and the role it plays in being a successful entrepreneur and business owner.